hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Monday, September 22, 2008

Stocking Up

Nothing like four or five days of the stock market sinking regularly around 400 points/day to make you think of the Great Depression. One of these days, I guess, we’ll be calling it instead the other Great Depression. That would be the one that I was born in, although close enough to the end of that decade not to have any particular memories of the depression qua depression. Nobody was jumping out any windows that I was aware of; nobody I knew was standing in soup kitchen lines; my dad had a job all through those years, though of modest pay. My grandparents did lose all their money during the 30’s, though; money they’d inherited from my successful copper-miner great grandfather. It’s nice to know that the family line once had money, even if all of it was gone before I was around. A little sparkly family memory.

Nevertheless, I was brought up as a child of the depression, where space was tight, money was scarce, and food was gathered and watched very carefully. Our next door neighbors had a food cellar: a free-standing, underground structure with steep wooden steps and concrete walls and dirt floors. You walked down a few steps and opened the short doors to the cellar and what you saw was darkness and spider webs and more steep wooden stairs, and what you smelled was the damp earth, a smell I always thought of as being like a grave, morbid child that I must have been. It was a kind of scary place to a kid, but both sides of the darkness were lined with shelves between which hung a single light bulb. Turn it on and everything changed: the shelves shone with canned goods in mason jars: canned peaches and cherries and plums (we grew the plums in our yard); canned beans, peas, carrots, and tomatoes; canned pheasant and duck. (This was all, of course, before frozen foods.) The cellar was both frightening and reassuring at the same time: darkness and death before the light was turned on, and plenitude of life after.

My parents shared the cellar with the neighbors. The neighbors had a garden, as did we, and we also had my father’s hunting skills. My mother and the neighbor wife shared the canning work, and maybe we all shared the canned goods, as well. My strongest memory of that cellar is of seeing the duck and pheasant legs and wings in those big glass canning bottles, lined up on the shelves. But my second strongest memory is of the regular trips to the cellar to get something for breakfast or dinner. Food there would be, even though everything else was tight.

So, while thinking about the depression that looks like it will be and the depression that was, it seemed a good enough time for stocking up on food, just to make sure we wouldn’t starve, I guess. I don’t can things, but I do cook and bake and freeze and just eat, so by the end of two days, I had produced four quarts of split pea soup, one date cake, one loaf of cheese bread, one pan of corn bread, a spinach/ham quiche, an apple pie, and two quarts of yogurt. It all seemed a little too focused, a little too frantic, a little too much, but it made me feel a little more in control of my destiny. There are times when fantasy substitutes very nicely for reality.

The Emergency Preparedness Committee of Point Roberts (PREP) wants us to think about what we would do in times of disaster (although I don’t think the committee has a Great Depression in mind; more like a Great Earthquake). But one of the things they recommend is having a 3-week supply of food because, if we were cut off somehow, the assumption/theory is that it would take 3 weeks for anyone to get to the exclave to be helpful. That cellar would certainly have done at least three weeks and perhaps an entire winter, so I can at least imagine the possibility of consciously maintaining a three-week supply of food. It’s the three weeks worth of water that seems a little more problematic. But then, it rains a lot. Maybe multiple rainbarrels to replace the cellar.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes to food pantries! I am personally cornering the market on dried cherries (thanks Henry!) for our winter consumption. I am not sure of the Feng Shui aspects, but one enters our house through the pantry, so that must say something about what is important in our household.

Thanks for the delightful blog, Judy.

Rose

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, just wondering, besides the small issues like trash and recycle, due to the special location of Point Roberts, is there also big things like a great earth quake to think about before moving to Point Roberts? Is there a plan or something in place if it happens?

And as I didn't want to pepper your helpful blog with questions after each one of your article. i hope you wouldn't mind that I edge in the log house question here. Would you recommend a log house on Point Roberts? I am guessing it rains non stop from autumn to spring, I hope I am wrong.

Thank you.

judy ross said...

yes, earthquake is a serious concern. point roberts was originally an island; there is a landbridge to tswwassen that could very easily end up under water, i'd think, from an earthquake. also, it's pretty sandy soil (though there's hardpan as well. in the big l.a. earthquake, houses on sandy soil had bigger problems than houses on rock bases. i'm no expert here, but my limited experience suggests that there isn't a lot of attention to making houses earthquake proof,in either point roberts or up in b.c. a log house in the northwest: it rains all the time: get a good overhang and it would be fine, but by now, they are extremely expensive, i'm told. i have seen only one big log house on point roberts, though.

is there a plan for earthquakes? is there a plan in l.a. where they have them all the time? not that i noticed. building codes inl.a., not so much up here, and certainly not on older houses.

Anonymous said...

Oh, boy...I am sure glad that I found your blog. Sandy soil is really not so great for earthquakes. Richmond, B.C. on Lulu island is on sand, my friends in Vancouver say they would never live there because come an earthquake, it would shake like jello...

How did you do search on which part of Point Roberts was on soild rock? Is there a Map? Is there only a small percentage of land in Point Roberts that is not sandy?

As for log house, I was already thinking it may only look picturesque in lovely sunny days, and requires a lot of work and money to maintent, after reading your husband had to add longer overhangs on the roof.

While my construction friend went with me to check out Point Roberts, we saw on log cabin in construction near Lily point. My friend said if he did a job that looked like that, he wouldn't put up a sign to let people know who the builder is...

It is totally ok to not have a log house. I just thought wood could withstand the shaking better during earthquakes. Thank for your advice that saves me a lot of money and time before I go for it.