hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Black Magic?



The last bulbs are planted in the Sunshine Coast garden where we have way too many deer to fool with growing tulips, deer's favorite spring lunch. Instead, this garden specializes in daffodils which deer, miraculously, don’t eat. I’m sure the deer are evolving the ability to digest them as I type, but for the moment and for the next year, the bulbs are safe, at least from the deer.

We bought a truck load of dirt from the local nursery yesterday because Ed rebuilt a retaining wall and extended it beyond its prior boundary, leaving great, gaping, 2-foot-deep holes behind it at either end. Once it was all nicely filled in with this black, organic looking dirt, that bed looked like the perfect place to plant the last dozen King Alfred bulbs. But when I dug up the first few trowels-ful of dirt, I noticed there was a strange dust rising from the hole. I took off my gloves and put my hand into this misty apparition and discovered that it was steam. Putting my hand into the hole I had dug, I found it was decidedly hot down there. Whatever is in this organic looking black dirt is still composting at a very active level. Putting the bulbs in there would, I expect, have either cooked them, rotted them out, or caused them to go into high speed growing.

As I have previously explained, I’m not a fan of buying dirt insofar as I already own 2 acres of land, but in this case the argument was that all the other dirt was currently being used to support some other plant life. I read an article last year about the introduction of highly treated sewage as garden soil and maybe this is some of that; the official name was 'treated sewage sludge' but has now been changed (unsurprisingly) to ‘biosolids.' This 'dirt' is certainly a color I had never previously seen in nature or in a commercial planting mix: it is really black rather than a rich brown, which would be my expectation. (It is the black area behind the midlevel gray wall in the picture above; you can see it better if you click on the picture.) And it has a truly strange smell; and not a pleasant one either. I trust that will dissipate as whatever is in it finishes burning up. It does seem one more interference with my understood way of life. Dirt is not supposed to steam, at least not if you don’t live in Yellowstone Park.

What’s going on here? I could ask the clerk at the nursery, but I doubt seriously that she would offer me clear information. I have read around a bit on the net about biosolids, enough to know that they are being used extensively and that there is at least some dispute about their safety. (In the realm of they are safe if they are produced properly; we could mention that to the Chinese, I suppose. Something like ‘eggs are safe if produced properly; if not, if you give the chickens feed with melamine in it, well then all bets are off.’) However, Cornell University provides some general information as well as a description of the issues with respect to one of the commercially available biosolids, ‘Milorganite,’ which seems generally applicable to the biosolids available to home gardeners.

I expect I’d be more concerned if that was an area where I planted a vegetable garden, but it’s not: nothing but flowers. I could hope that this black magic, this black something, may be just one more way to discourage the deer from lunching in those borders, I suppose. And for now, those 12 daff bulbs had to go somewhere else.

Update: I took the temperature of that black dirt this morning after a day and night of rain and temperatures in the high 50's: at 6 inches deep, 117 degrees F.

2 comments:

hshields said...

It is official government policy to allow businesses and industries to dispose of toxic industrial wastes into public sewers. Pretreatment laws are not being enforced for fear of increasing the hazardous waste disposal costs which could drive industries (and jobs) out of the USA in these dire economic times, to developing countries where labor and environmental laws are weak or non-existent. http://www.sludgevictims.com/toxic_in_sludge.html

The wastewater treatment process reconcentrates the pollutants in the sludge "biosolids". The only difference between Class A sludge and Class B sludge "biosolids" is the level of pathogens. The US EPA acknowledges serious pathogen regrowth problems with Class A sludge "biosolids" which should undergo pathogen testing right before it is used to be sure it is properly stabilized. If the sludge was still steaming when you used it, that may indicate it iwas still biologically active.

Exposure to Class A sludge "biosolids" has made people sick. http://www.sludgevictims.com/Class-A-sludge.html

The EPA and University of Wisconsin are presently investigating the risks of infectious human and animal prions in both Class B AND Class A sludge. http://www.sludgevictims.com/pathogens/prion.html Family pets can track sludge into homes on their feet and fur. Children, with their hand to mouth behavior, are also at risk.

"On October 15, 2008: Minneapolis - Consumers should choose foods produced without sludge and
avoid use of sewage sludge-based fertilizer products in home gardens,
concludes a new guide by the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy
(IATP)." http://www.enn.com/top_stories/article/38417

Last summer, Class A Milorganite (Milwaukee sewage sludge) contained such high levels of toxic PCBs, it cost taxpayers over $4.7 million to strip the sludge and soil off 30 public parks and dispose of the sludge in an approved hazardous waste landfill. http://www.thedailygreen.com/2007/07/25/toxic-sewage-sludge-closes-playing-fields/4284/#comment-3613

All things considered, consumers would be safer if they avoided all sewage sludge "biosolids" products in their gardens.

Helane Shields, PO Box 1133, Alton, NH 03809 sludge researcher since 1996 http://www.sludgevictims.com

theo said...

Historical notes interspersed with what not to use in the garden. Given my limited knowledge of sewage treatment but knowing its mandate is to return water in a potable state to the system and really nothing else, it shocks me to hear the solid residue is being used as a fertilizer additive. Anything could be in that crud unless the solid waste is being extensively screened. Given the cost of the procedures (at an industrial scale no less) I doubt that sewage treatment budgets allow it. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Thanks for the historical perspectives, Judy!

theo