hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Friday, December 18, 2009

'Tis the Season





Today’s results from Copenhagen are not, I suppose, surprising.  It looks as if North Americans will be reluctant to do much about changing their/our energy use patterns until a lot of people who didn’t expect ever to have beach property are looking right out at the ocean.  That might even include me, I guess; unless all of Point Roberts is underwater.  But even if I have beach, I suppose I'll be living on an island.  What chance, then, of a ferry from Bellingham?  Or what used to be Bellingham?



This morning, the news of the world included advice about how we can, each and every one of us, lower our energy footprints in this time of crisis.  One piece of advice, specific to the season, had to do with having a little less of a Christmas light extravaganza.  Words falling, I think, on deaf ears, if the overly decorated houses I’ve recently run into are any indication.  The pictures above and to the left are of three houses on one street, a neighborly competition perhaps, on Vancouver’s eastside.  (Incidentally, the deer in the middle of the first picture--on the ground--move their heads up and down.)

Well, a colorful Christmas, certainly.  And then there's the alien invasion over the Kremlin to entertain us, too.

No comments: