hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dark Days




I wrote the other day about the fearsome wind storm we had last week.  That is a part of Point Roberts that I don't usually think about, except when it is happening.  Somehow, human that I am, I lose track of the risks while closely tracking the benefits of one choice or another.  And then a day comes that reminds you exactly how negligent you have been about keeping track of the risks.

The picture above, which Ed took, in the late afternoon of a very cloudy and rainy day when there could have been a wind storm (although there wasn't) makes me realize why it's so easy to forget the difficult parts of Pt. Roberts when you are not in the difficult parts.  These houses are far down on South Beach.  They would appear (at least to me) to be too close to the water, too fragile in their construction, too likely to suffer damage of one kind or another if the wind and the ocean pick up.  And yet, how beautiful they are.  Risk seems a silly concept when you see them in this light.


Well, that's how humans often think, I suspect.

No comments: