hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

It's All About Traffic and Roads

Back.  And finding that the border has once again become a very big problem.  Long lines almost every time I've been near it.  Today, the longest line I've ever seen going into Canada in the regular lane (not Nexus, that is) around 1 p.m.  Not to mention that one of the reasons I was acutely aware of this was that I was stuck in a very long Nexus line coming into Point Roberts.  For about ten minutes, nothing moved although there were three lanes operating.  And then, nothing moved very quickly.  Twenty minutes in Nexus is not what we had in mind on A Tuesday mid-day.  Doubtlessly we can blame it on computers or healthcare insurers or global warming.  Whatever, not cheering for a nice summer day.

And then also, since I've been back, I have discovered every time I drive out into Point Roberts itself that there is a Whatcom County Sheriff's car lurking in a sideroad of Tyee or Gulf or Benson or whatever we consider the main roads here.  The purpose of such lurking is obviously to issue speeding tickets.  And then I discover that Deputy Slick has returned to us.  In his prior posting here, he was known for his obsession with speeding, and it has stayed with him, I guess.  It's good for the season.  Right when everybody in Point Roberts is hoping to encourage tourism, Deputy Slick arrives to make sure that tourists will have a better than average chance of getting a speeding ticket.  This can't be part of our economic development program?

Perhaps Chair Reber and the Community Advisory Committee could consider using the $370K to purchase large extension mirrors so we could see what's in those little roads ahead of us.