hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Friday, July 9, 2010

Knowing Good and Bad

As it happens, I have made two trips to Bellingham and back in the past two days.  And both times, there have been things of an edible nature in my car.  What I have not taken into Canada is a potato, an apple, a pear, a peach, a nectarine, a cherry, or a blueberry.  An what I have not taken into the U.S. is a lemon, an orange, a lime, a grapefruit, a green onion, a chive or any gathering of chives, a dragon fruit, a starfruit, a mangosteen, a kiwi fruit, a tomato, or a green pepper.

On Wednesday, when I went from Canada to the U.S., I brought with me 5 tomatoes that were grown in Washington and as I came through the border, I confided to the the U.S. CBP person that I had five tomatoes from Canada, and he said that was good and I might go on my way.  However, on Thursday, word came down from on high that tomatoes from Canada were no longer good and they may not come here any more.

But, I still have those five tomatoes (or, actually three of them now) sitting on my counter and I say to them, "Are you good? Or, are you bad?"    It is hard to know.  The comforting thing, of course, is that bananas can go either way without anybody caring.  And that is good.