hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Sunday, February 5, 2012

End of Winter?

It's 60 degrees in Bellingham and in Seattle (even if it isn't that here).  That's warm for February.  Last week, there was one day so warm that it seemed reasonable to spend a couple of hours out cleaning up fallen branches in the garden.  And once I get out there, there is much to be seen that suggests winter is not calling the shots right now.

Of course, all those leaves that are coming up and out may be in for a rude awakening, but there are plenty of roses unleafing, not to mention Indian plum, columbine, Autumn Joy sedum, day lilies, and such things.  What I don't see is tulips, daffodils, or crocuses, but I'm in a pretty shady area, and I've seen plenty of them in my sunnier neighbors' yards.  So, I'm hoping for the best.

Each year, I dread the winter's arrival more.  I am stunned to think that winter would be such a downer in a place where there is, really, so little winter.  I grew up with real winter; I know what it's like, and it isn't like what we have here.  And yet, I am discontent.  The nature of humans.  And yet, I think about my parents who lived for 85+ years in Idaho and the dreadful cold winter and never took vacations to sunnier climes during those bitter months.  Who drove in the snow and the ice for 3 or 4 months every year.  What a wimp am I.

Nevertheless, I'm glad to see signs of spring; very glad.

No comments: