hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dressing Up Trees

A short vacation from blogging to mark the beginning of I think my 4th year of doing this.

In my spare time this winter, I've been knitting neckties for large conifer trees.  The smaller trees are happy enough with scarves and the stop sign/street sign is content with a body stocking, but the big firs and cedars are a problem, primarily because they are so big around.  The ones in our front yard are 4-5 feet in circumference (update: I mean 5 feet in diameter, which is about 17 feet in circumference), which means that to wrap five seventeen feet of tree trunk, I'd have to knit something 8" wide by 40+  120 feet, which is a sizable amount of knitting to achieve only five feet of coverage.  Thus came it to my mind that the firs could have neckties instead and, since their trunks are so wide, multiple neckties.  Three such neckties, ranging from 5" to 12" wide and about 12 feet long (each) doesn't begin to cover this tree, of course, but then it doesn't have to cover it: it's a necktie.

Furthermore, because it isn't surrounding the tree (as the scarves do), I can leave them up all the time.  Fortunately, Ed is happy to climb 18 feet up on the ladder to do the dressing.

No comments: