hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Friday, February 8, 2008

Starting a Blog

So exactly how is it that you are supposed to 'get the whole picture'? At the moment, my guess is the whole picture is available only when you are at the end of the picture. Thus, the closer you are to the end (point in time), the 'wholer' picture you get. It doesn't make it a better picture; in fact, it may make your heart break. If you are interested in a 1500 page elucidation of this conclusion, I suggest you read "Kristin Lavransdatter" (Sigrid Undset, 1923).

Starting a blog: First of all, I just saw that Google would let me do it. If Google will let me do it, perhaps I should do it. Then, Google wants me to name the blog. What possible name could it have? I don't want my name on it, so maybe a cliche or common phrase? 'Get the Whole Picture' came to mind because I am indeed reading 'Kristin Lavransdatter' this past two weeks. It's about a couple of people who can never get past themselves in order to see the whole picture, or even a picture bigger than themselves. It's about narcissm and disorder and early sorrow and the long decline therefrom. I first read it when I was in high school and engaging in the standard narcissm of that age; I read it again in the late 60's, when a generation and then some were figuring out yet a more expansive narcissm than we had previously imagined. And now I read it again (in my 70's) and only now see a 'wholer' picture. It's an amazing character study. Give that woman a Nobel Prize for literature for character study: oh, they did, in 1928.

And for a completely unrelated photo,



http://www.flickr.com/photos/albaum/2273462938/in/photostream/