hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Thursday, January 15, 2009

'Goodbye, George'

George didn’t mention Point Roberts when he was giving his farewell address tonight (is he under the delusion that he is someone like, say, George Washington with this putting-on-airs farewell address?) ,but maybe he knows we never voted for him anyway and would have been just as happy if he’d gone away a long time ago. He has been traipsing around for the past month saying, ‘Goodbye! Farewell! Adieu! Auf Wiedersehn! Addio!’ (or would have used those words if only he spoke any language), as if he thought that somewhere, someone might say, ‘Oh, stay a little longer.’ One of those party guests who should never have been invited and now that he’s at the party apparently will never leave.

And then, of course, there’s the long and tiresome list of his achievements that exist only in his imagination. The fact of the matter is that every good AND bad thing he ever tried to do remains undone. He might more honorably just slink off in the night and at most send us a postcard from his wearisome ranch, saying, ‘Having a wonderful time, wish I were there.”

And tomorrow, I am told via the news, Ms. Rice will pack her purse and cape and leave the State Department for the last time. Here’s your hat, what’s your hurry? And probably Mr. Cheney is just moving into his file cabinet so that he can continue to be the eminence gris he takes himself to be. No more grises, no more eminences, Mr. Cheney. The back side of all of them is what I want to see, and I want to keep seeing it for the rest of my life.

If you don’t have a blog, you just say this kind of thing to your spouse or your kids. I have a blog, so I get to say it to the readers. My apologies, but thanks for staying with it. And now, I’m finished with that topic: I am saying ‘Goodbye, George,’ for the very last time. It’s over.

No comments: