hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Saturday, August 14, 2010

90 CD's Later

So, on Thursday, I addressed this daunting pile of CD's and decided to deal only with the first 150 of them.  As it turned out, selecting 125 to go away into a new life, leaving 25 to, more or less, stay with me (e.g., six Alasdair Fraser CD's will probably get turned over to a granddaughter who's a fan) was pretty easy.  Most of those 125 I distinctly remembered, if only in terms of the circumstances under which I had bought them, but I could also sense pretty quickly whether I was likely to play them again or wish that I had access to them.  Thus, into a bag they went for the Saturday Farmer's Market, with a little looseness in the sense of what constitutes a farmer.

I checked with a daughter who knows more about retail and resale than I do and she advised that one can easily buy used CD's for $2, so if anyone actually wanted one of mine, they would probably easily pay $1.  And there was the pricing decision.  It seemed surely all profit since whatever I had paid for these CD's in the past, I had certainly gotten that much entertainment from them.

Then, I decided to have a second line of goods: flower seeds.  I had been collecting seeds over the past few weeks from columbine and lupine.  Now, I bought 100 little plastic closable bags (2x2 inches each) and put 1/2 teaspoon of seeds in each of 30 bags (about 20 columbine and 10 lupine) and decided to sell them for a quarter, although the amount of time it took to gather and shell the lupine seed meant that if I sold them all, I'd have been working for about fifty cents an hour.  On the other hand, 1/2 t. of columbine seeds amounts to hundreds of seeds, but only a couple dozen of lupine.

And this morning, I took myself to the ever-more-sparsely populated parking lot at the Community Center.  Today, there was one seller of plants, a jeweller, a graphic artist, two or three flea market-type dealers, a lemonade-and-cookie stand, a purveyor of fancy water bottles, a large table of nature photographs/cards, and three farmers with berries and vegetables of various kinds and colors, including blackberries for $2.00 (small basket).  And me with my CD's. 

The customers were pretty steady from nine until about 11 or 11:30.  Then they thinned out, and by 12:30, the customers and the sellers were all gone. 

But, the day gave me all I had wanted.  First, I got to swell the number of sellers at the Market, if only by one.  Second, I got over NINETY CD's and 15 seed packages moved happily into someone else's life (and all those dollars moved into mine) .  Third, I got to talk with a number of visitors to and residents of (friends and new acquaintances)  Point Roberts.  And I used some of my ill gotten gains to buy a nice bowl of coleus plants.  Altogether, a very nice morning in Point Roberts!