hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pay as You Go

The U.S. thinks it might be a good idea to have Canadians pay an 'inspection fee' upon entering the US by plane or ship. Canadians not so enthusiastic about the idea.

The conversation chez nous:

Says Ed, "well, we used to have to pay an airport fee when we came into the Vancouver airport."

Says Me, "Ah, I actually loved the idea that I was helping to build that lovely airport. Used to look around as I went through and think about exactly what bits and pieces my ten dollarses had paid for. The idea that I (if Canadian) was being asked to pay for the privilege of being 'inspected' by the CBP hardly seems the same at all. In fact, it seems to me that they ought to have to pay ME for the indignity of the inspection."

Says Ed, "Good point."

However, we might ask why an inspection fee is good for plane and ship travellers but not for automobile travellers? And, if they introduced it for automobile travellers, what would that do to our beloved gas tax revenues? And our thriving internet mail delivery business?

1 comment:

Crazy Eddie said...

I enjoyed your post and your perspective from your part of the world. I look forward to the day when there are no more borders. My friends tell me that I'm silly for even thinking such a day would come but I am hopelessly optimistic. I like your blog.

WhiteFeatherNews