hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Friday, December 2, 2011

Keeping the Trees Warm


The leaves are all gone, so it's time to put the tree scarves back on the trees to help them feel better throughout the winter.  I knit these many yards of scarf 3 years ago and this is the third year they will have warmed the trees in front of our house.  We take them down in the spring when the bark needs to do a little breathing on its own but I never remember to mark them in some way as to which scarves go on which trunk.  So, the color arrangement is a little different each year.  And this year, we put some of them on different trees.

This is very small time 'guerilla knitting.'  In urban areas, knitters are filling pot holes and covering entire buildings.  Very committed stuff.  It's not very hard knitting usually, but in these projects it is very often enormously time consuming.  Check out these guerilla knitters:  here and here, in Seattle.

I also began a little knit scarf for the stop sign on the corner, but apparently I seriously misjudged the size of the stop sign post and how much scarf I would need, because this is what I got on my first application.  Pretty pathetic!  (It's down there at the bottom of the post.)  We've now started a seriously longer scarf for this poor, cold stop sign.

No comments: