hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Winter of Our Discontent?

We keep awaking to a frost wonderland.  Then it goes away by noon, only to return twelve hours later.  This is a lot more -32 degree F. weather than we usually get.  But no snow yet, which is a blessing.

I got an email recently from a Canadian who had had the misfortune to fall into Officer Slick's speed trap busy work.  A first trip to Point Roberts for lunch, then a $200 ticket, and a quick return to Canada.  The Canadian wondered if this kind of thing was really good for business down here.  I doubt it.  I think it's largely a matter of revenue raising and, perhaps, a solution to not-enough-real-police work required at this posting.  God knows we have a lot of law enforcement available to us.

I thought about asking the Community Advisory Committee to look into it.  But, it turns out that, although the people I talk to think the speed trap activity is undesired and undesirable, other people think it is saving us from mayhem on the roadways: too much speeding going on here, accidents just waiting to happen (although they seem a little in short supply, actually).  It is possible that what we actually have is posted speed limits that are too low.  I don't know.  But, that kind of community division on this kind of issue (the discussion of which will quickly turn into a fact/data-less talk undergirded by a lot of high-toned moral opinions--mine and theirs) is exactly what you don't want to start up in a small community unless you have more stomach for dissension than I have.

So, I can write about it, but I am unlikely to do more than that, coward that I am.  And also, I'm cold.

No comments: