hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Sound of Music

Lucy Williams impressario-ed another fine concert at the Lutheran Church this weekend: she persuaded a Vancouver small chorus and quartet  (The Gospel Boys and the VIP's) to come down and provide us with 90 minutes of very classy gospel music (most of it less commonly heard pieces) largely arranged with barbershop harmonies.

The average age of the men's choir was about 74 and it was a wonder to see--no, to hear--how well these guys had kept their voices in condition.  My own son (now nearing 50) has had a long career in barbershopping.  (I used to observe to relatives, in his high school days when he was doing a lot of performing, that his entire wardrobe consisted of 6 Mickey Mouse t-shirts and 4 tuxedos in different colors.)  But, I know something about barbershopping, including that these people know how to work together, they know how to work to high standards, and they know how to have a lot of fun.  All in evidence tonight.  All easily spilling over to the audience of about 100, nearly filling the church.  It is interesting, the way that an audience who is enjoying a good performance of any kind becomes, at least for that little time, a group, with something in common, a sense of sharedness, of being in the moment together.  That's what it was tonight.  And I'm very grateful for such moments.

After a morning at the hot Saturday Market (more of that later), it was an especially cool way to spend the evening.  Thanks to the guys for making their way down for our dining and dancing pleasure!  And thanks to Lucy for making it happen.

2 comments:

V said...

Hi there! I just wanted to let you know that I'm really enjoying your blog -- especially since I am contemplating a move up your way. (I tried to find a way to contact you by email, but couldn't.) I currently live in San Francisco and am fortunate enough to have a job that is very portable, i.e. I can live and work anywhere. And I think I'd enjoy living someplace cheaper than SF -- which doesn't really narrow it down much -- and that's very quiet, but also close to a big cosmopolitan city.

Anyway, thanks for your entertaining and informative blog, and I look forward to more of your updates!

-Peter -- also a fiftyish choral singer :)

judy ross said...

peter: google apparently decided not to have my email on the blog anymore (which it used to have). anyway, judywross@ross-park.net