hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Bear-ly Here

A little report on Facebook about there possibly being a bear around here (to keep house with the young moose in some natureworld reproduction of The Swiss Family Robinson...stranded on a peninsula that is  in the U.S., although these animals all carry Canadian passports!)

Anyway, there has also been some concern about picking up fallen fruit to keep the bear from marauding in your yard.  It did occur to me that if the bear were here and if it wanted your fruit, it would just climb the tree and take it, so tidiness under the tree would be of no avail.  However, this afternoon, when I was picking a few ready transparent apples from my many fruit trees, I thought about the half dozen or so fallen transparents already on the ground and happily browning away, wafting their apple smells to tempt bears everywere to visit them.  And then I thought, there is maybe one small bear somewhere around Point Roberts and there are about !4,000 apple and other fruit trees with ripe fruit in the tree and on the ground in Point Roberts, and I decided the odds were pretty small that a bear, whose presence is also very unlikely, would make it to my yard to prey upon my apples.  So I stopped thinking about the entire issue.  I'm done with it, ok?

No comments: