hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Somewhere in Point Roberts

Despite the fact that Point Roberts is only 4.5 square miles, there are a lot of things to be seen here.  Or there are, if you live here and have the time to drive or walk or ride (on a horse, a bike, a motorized vehicle of some self-propelling kind) around so that you see the small things, or the larger things that aren't right out on the road.  There's the iconic cow at Drewhenge, of course.  There's Drewhenge itself.  There's the skatepark, and the baseball field.  The elementary school which it's easy not to see if you don't happen to actually go there for some purpose because it's hidden back behind the fire department building.  When I went there a couple of months ago, I was amazed to see what a wonderful school it is, as a structure.  I had kind of imagined it as a one-room school house, but it is much bigger, well-equipped, and with big windows overlooking a green world that makes me wonder how anybody ever pays enough attention to learn anything when they can be looking out the window instead.  (I am thinking this because I remember how I used to stare out the windows of the second story of my institutional elementary school in the early 1940's, hoping for a sign of life.)

All of us who live here could make a list of the things that are worth seeing but that most people may not have seen.  Not because they aren't looking but because they aren't looking just this moment at just that place.  Even though I have walked and driven around the Point for 14 years, I am always finding myself somewhere I've never been before, which is puzzling given how small this place really is.

Ed, too, noticed this phenomenon, so he has started a new photo series called 'Somewhere in Point Roberts.'  Can you find the photos?  (Click on the link, of course.)  But, if you are a local, can you find the actual phenomenon?  Leave a comment on the Flickr site if you feel so inclined.  Or tell me places that we ought to look for but haven't yet gotten to or haven't yet noticed.  And then, in the summertime, when friends and family come to visit, you can send them on a kind of scavenger hunt:  1.  Find a pygmy goat.  2.  Find a small heart-shaped mirror in a tree; a mirror bordered with shells.  3.  Find the iconic cow!  4.  Find the ocean-based boundary markers (there are four of them altogether, but only three of them can you see from Point Roberts).  Etcetera.  And if not a scavenger hunt, at least a guided walking tour.

No comments: