hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Nostalgia

Update, below.

I pried myself out of the house today (need I mention that it is cold, grey, and rainy?), and made the rounds of a few commercial establishments. Over the border to Safeways for basmati rice and tulips (neither of which is sold locally). Then back to the Point for a pound of freshly roasted coffee beans and a blueberry muffin at Dylan's. Then a stop at the USA gas station for five gallons of gas. And, finally, a stop at the international market for fruits and vegetables.

And at the end of my rounds, which took about an hour, total, including the two international border crossings, I had spent $100.00. I can remember when it took all day to spend that much on ordinary purchases. I wish someone could explain to me why, if I can easily spend $100.00 in an hour on minor purchases, why my wallet is always weighed down with pennies? Really, are these economically meaningless coins necessary? Or are they nostalgia, too?

Update: An interesting proposal..make the pennies into nickels.

No comments: