hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Teenagers

I was out for a walk today and on my way back ran into a couple of teenage boys (15-ish) coming out of a local woods that has pretty marginal paths for walking.  They're looking pretty cheerful, up to good (as opposed to no-good), and we have a brief conversation in the late afternoon remaining sun.

'Hi!,' the first one says.
'Hi!,' says I.  And I notice that they are both carrying skateboards that looks almost home-made.  At least they don't look as high-tech as the ones I'm used to seeing in the towns.
'Not very good skateboarding in the woods, surely,' says I.
"No, it's great,' says the taller one.  'Really great.'
'You must be pretty good then,' says I, thinking of the wet and rutty paths that i've been on through that woods.
'Yes!' they say together, and they beam, beamish boys, delighted with their competence and delighted to be telling me of it.
And we part company at that.

It reminded me of how fun teenage years can occasionally be.  Lots of unpleasant parts of course, but the ones where you actually see and have confidence in your own competence.  Where there was no competence, then there is, and it's because you worked at it.  And you feel good about yourself.

Also, the skunk cabbage is coming up along Benson.

No comments: