hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Friday, November 28, 2008

Playing Poker

I don’t actually play poker, largely because my older brother taught me how when I was a kid and that means I think of poker simply as I game in which I will lose. But I vaguely know the rules even now because my grandchildren, when visiting, are avid poker players, their stakes the bowl of foreign coins that we have collected over the past few decades when traveling. So I have up-to-date observations of a lot of games, a lot of talk about what beats what.

In any case, here’s the hand. Of recent days, I have written of my bear, my deer, my owl. They would appear to be my bet. Today, though, my son tells me that today at 10 a.m. in his yard (in central, semi-rural California) he has a cougar with a chicken in its mouth. And yet later today, my older daughter reports, from a small town in New Mexico, that she and her border collie spent some time along the riverbank with a gray fox. The fox gave her and her dog a mildly interested look and then went about his fox work in plain view for some time.

So, what I need to know is this: Does an bear eating compost and a separate deer eating grass (the latter combined with a sleeping owl) beat a cougar with a chicken in its mouth? Or even a gray fox in a small town with a collie in plain sight? Not only that: I knew there were bear, deer, and owl around; he didn’t know he had cougars, and she thought the local gray fox had all been killed. Am I winning or losing? And if I’m losing, what do I need next? A raccoon in a Santa Claus suit?

Or is this just another piece of evidence, somehow, that the financial system is getting worse?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All we have is in-laws and a turkey carcass.
C

Anonymous said...

I do think the Cougar wins all bets in this case!

Rose in Pt. Bob