hydrangea blossoming

hydrangea blossoming
Hydrangea on the Edge of Blooming

Monday, June 20, 2011

Buying Locally

Point Roberts this year has joined in the nationwide movement of buying food produced locally.  In our case, Sagewood Farms (sagewoodfarms.org) has begun its operation on a relatively small scale (planning for 50-75 members in its first summer).  It provides only produce; at least so far, they're not offering eggs or milk or lamb chops, and maybe never.  But produce is a good start, even if it's only for part of the year.

We were a little slow signing up for it largely because I was not sure we could manage that much produce every week.  But, I finally figured out that it was a good idea and on that basis alone, we ought to support it.  And, of course, there was nothing stopping me from sharing this produce with others if it was too much for us.  As it turned out, there was an every-other-week option as well as an every-week one, and every other week is great for us.

All last winter, I was complaining to Ed that I was tired of the very limited supply of vegetables that seemed to be on offer.  The limits were largely that I was tired of six different ways of packaging carrots and iceberg lettuce and, well, I don't know exactly what the problem was.  It just got harder and harder to buy any of it, other than broccoli, of which I am particularly fond.  And now, I find,  thanks to Sagewood that there are new vegetables in the world.  Last delivery, we got Japanese sweet potatoes, which I had never known about; and this delivery, there were French radishes, which are much nicer than the little round red radishes which I wouldn't eat if it was just me and them on earth.  Lovely greens, very nice mushrooms of various kinds, small packets of this and that.  It's a little like Christmas when the shipment box arrives.  So, it's not just a good idea:  it's also attractive, very fresh and tasty produce, an education and a celebration.

If you are interested in joining, you can reach Tom, who makes it possible, here.

No comments: